Saturday, November 7, 2009

Western Australia Holiday | Mindarie

First I must apologise for taking so long to begin telling you about my Western Australia Holiday in Mindarie. Since returning home I had a lot of catching up to do, however I found it difficult to motivate myself and found it extremely difficult to get my body clock in snyc. Going out to the beginning of spring in Australia at the end of September did not seem to be a problem, but coming back to the British autumn four weeks later certainly proved to be a struggle.

Western Australia:
There were no sightings of Rolf Harris, nor did I hear any renditions of "Tie me Kangaroo down sport" or "Waltzing Matilda". I did see Kangaroo's, Koalas and Kookaburra's, plus many varieties of colourful Parrots and Cockatoos. You can see a selection of Australian birds that I managed to photograph on my other blog "My Garden Birds"

Kangaroos take a midday nap.

A Koala takes an all day nap. When they are not asleep, they eat. When they are not eating they are asleep. Yes they are my own photographs.

Due to the limitations imposed by my own disability and by the health of my sister-in-law, we were not contemplating trekking into the bush or travelling any great distances. It was a rather more sedate and relaxing approach to visiting the areas around Perth and spending quality time with friends and family.

Parks and gardens that we visited included the Kings Park in Perth, Whiteman Park, Yanchep National Park and the park and lakes of Joondalup. We also visited the coastal areas and marinas including Hilaries, Two Rocks, Yanchep and Mandurah. An adventure that will not be forgotten however was the day we headed down the Swan river to Freemantle on a friends boat, then out to sea to scatter Father-in-Laws ashes into the Indian Ocean. I'll save that for another post.

Yes the names of some of the towns in Western Australia are very "Ozzie". As mentioned above there is Joondalup and Mandurah then other great sounding places such as Yangebup, Mundaring, Kallaroo, and Wanneroo.

Petrol costs just half the price of what we pay here in the UK, but I guess that is the case in many other parts of the world too such as the USA. The roads are good, straight and uncongested. We were noticeable as Brits because we walked into the drive-in off licence. You can even drive into Bunnings, the Australian equivalent of B & Q.

A view of Perth taken from Kings Park.

Mindarie:
We stayed in Mindarie, a relatively recent suburb of Perth situated approximately 40 kilometers from the city. Mindarie is a highly populated family area that is very community orientated offering a great lifestyle with the harbour and Clayton’s beach close by.

There is a mix of residential property in the suburb, with some older style single storey homes, modern two storey designs, apartments and an extensive retirement village. You can find large mansions in the Clarecastle Retreat and waterside apartments in the Marina. Despite it's young age the Marina is currently being revamped with further residential development happening at the moment. Some plots around the Mindarie Keys harbour are currently for sale with a very hefty price tag.

Claytons beach.

Mindarie Keys - the harbour.

Sunset on the waterfront.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous holiday and that Koala is so cute. Great pictures again, looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful photos Woodpecker, I especially love the koala and it sounds like an ideal life - eating, sleeping, taking photos ;-)

    I want to go to Wannaroo, just to say I've been to such a place.

    Great to have you back in Blighty and even better to have you back with so many stories and magnificent photos to share

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such wonderful comments, it makes it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete