Monday, February 8, 2010

Mumford & Sons | Music Monday

I was watching Bargain Hunt at lunch time, this being my normal lunchtime activity if at home, when I noticed that the background music of the programme was that of Mumford and Sons. I decided to make the Mumford and Sons album "Sigh no More" the object of today's Music Monday selection.

Music Monday:
Music monday ( hashtag #musicmonday ) is a term given to a favourite trending topic featuring on the social networking site, Twitter. Those of you who are already a part of the Twitter community can find me on Twitter here; @woodpecker50 ). If you want to join twitter then visit the website and you are able to join in a matter of seconds. all you need to submit is a user name, password and email address.

Blip fm:
I have also recently joined Blip.fm, this is a free to join online radio station where you play the songs of your choice. You can then invite others to listen in to your songs or playlists if you so wish. I have only just started on Blip but it does seem OK and easy to use. There also seems to be a vast choice of music on there to listen to. Here is the link to my station - http://blip.fm/woodpecker50

Back to Mumford and Sons:
It was Christmas morning (2009) when I was first introduced to Mumford and Sons by daughter "P" who had been given the CD as a gift. She played it for me, being sure that I would like it and she was indeed correct. I immediately thought of them as being an Irish folk band, musically accomplished, performing a music rich in melody yet played with passion and vitality. The vocals were filled with close harmony, at times soft and gentle, then raw and rugged.


I was surprised to discover that far from being Irish they are in fact 4 young men in their twenties from West London. The genre of their music is loosely defined as folk rock whereas their individual backgrounds embrace jazz, blues, bluegrass, folk and rock.

They are a band of four vocalists, three guitar players, two drummers, a pianist, an organist and a bass player, while the banjo, dobro and mandolin are often thrown into the mix for good measure.

Needless to say I was soon out buying the CD for myself and have been playing it often ever since. Today I have featured on Blip.fm, four of what are possibly my favourite tracks off the album. Have a listen and see if you agree. The album is available on CD from all the usual outlets or for download.

2 comments:

  1. I really like Mumford and sons. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I listen to them a lot since being introduced to their music.

    ReplyDelete