Monday, February 22, 2010

Robbie Williams | Reality Killed The Video Star

My latest CD/Album of the moment has to be Robbie Williams' "Reality Killed The Video Star" and I make it my selection for #musicmonday this week.

I must admit to falling out of favour with Robbie since he did the "Swing when Your Winning" album, swing being one of the few genres of music that I do not like. Following that collection of critically acclaimed old time favourites, he seemed to dissapear into the wilderness for a while. His latest music however has resulted in that unmistakeable voice of his sounding once more in my lug-holes.

Robert Williams was born and raised in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, within a few miles of where I have lived all my life. I also worked for a period of around fifteen years in his home town of Tunstall where everyone seemed to have some connection to the Williams family. They knew him, grew up with him, knew his mum or lived next door to someone who's sisters uncles girlfriends dog was once boarded in the kennel next to his mothers aunties dog. He, Robbie that is not the dog, was never fortunate enough to know me personally.

I can't say I was ever a fan of the original Take That but from the minute that Robbie Williams launched his solo career I sensed a completely different style of music emerge from him. I was instantly hooked, not particularly on Robbie the man but definitely on Robbie the musician and performer.

His first three albums "Life thru a Lens" "Millennium" and then "I've Been Expecting You" each made their way onto my all time favourites list. I enjoyed the brilliance of "Angels" long before it became a hit and was universally loved by so many.

But what about "Reality Killed The Video Star." This I feel marks a return to the Robbie Williams sound that I first enjoyed. I believe the album was mostly written in Robbie's home studio and he collaborated with a number of songwriters to produce the tracks. In my opinion the time spent producing this piece of work was time very well spent, it contains all the old Robbie Williams magic.

Reality Killed The Video Star - Tracks:
Morning Sun
Bodies
You Know Me
Blasphemy
Do You Mind
Last Days Of Disco
Somewhere
Deceptacon
Starstruck
Difficult For Weirdos
Won't Do That
Superblind
Morning Sun (Reprise)

Released in November 2009, "Reality Killed The Video Star" is easily obtained on CD or on download. I have also played tracks from the album on my Blip.fm station.
Have a listen now by following this link http://blip.fm/woodpecker50

4 comments:

  1. Nice post, I have listened to some of these tracks and agree that the music is back to the old sound of Robbie Williams.
    I had not really listened to the album until your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now if only Robbie would buy the value, and give it a cash injection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LIKE THIS LATEST ALBUM,
    GOOD BLOG TOO, LOOK FORWARD TO MORE STORIES.

    ReplyDelete